Housing and Travel


Students in the program are responsible for finding their own accommodations. Housing in Munich can be very expensive, and students are encouraged to make arrangements as far in advance as possible. Housing and food in Munich for the four-week duration of the program could easily cost $1700 - $2200, and more. For example, one extended-stay possibility is the Derag Hotel and Living Hotel Karl Theodor Muenchen, a long-term-stay hotel out in a somewhat more suburban-feeling residential neighborhood in northwest Munich, near the Olympic Park and the Nymphenburg Palace. An attractive self-contained complex, with supermarket, laundry, etc. built in. All rooms include kitchenettes, private bathrooms, and cable television. Paschstrasse 46 80637 Muenchen.  See Map.  Tel: +49 (89) 1 57 08 0

In addition to this and other hotels, there are a number of rental agencies in Munich that broker short-term rentals of private rooms and apartments. We strongly encourage you to try these, because prices are likely to be substantially lower than those at a hotel, and the experience of living in a real apartment is likely to be more interesting than a hotel stay. On the other hand, a room or apartment meeting your exact requirements may not be available, and the agencies often do not know what will be available until a month or two before the beginning of your stay, by which time the best hotel rooms may be booked. Therefore, you might consider making a hotel reservation, making sure that you know exactly how late you can cancel the reservation without penalty, and then registering with the rental agencies and seeing whether they are able to find a suitable room or apartment for you before your hotel reservation cancellation deadline.

There are eight short-term rental agencies that have English-language websites with information and registration forms, which make it very easy for those of you who know no German to register and see whether the agencies can find you something:

Another agency, City Mitwohnzentrale, has plenty of listings for you to browse, but no possibility of registering. To find the Munich listings in English, visit http://www.mitwohnzentrale.de/, switch to English by clicking on the British flag, and then choose "München" from the city drop-down list on the search form. (Although you will want rental offers for less than three months, the search form counts the period of tenancy from the present day, so to find offers for the month of July, you will have to leave that field as "it doesn't matter," and then weed through the longer-term listings.) Unfortunately, the universities in Munich are still in session until the last week of July, so summer sublets of student housing are unlikely to be available.

Since you are probably unfamiliar with Munich geography, an online map service that pinpoints hotel and apartment addresses on a map can be of great help. MSN Maps & Directions thoroughly covers the Munich area. In addition, the Mr. Lodge website provides a very helpful guide to Munich neighborhoods.  (Remember prices may be quoted in Euros; for currency conversion see, for example, the Universal Currency Converter).

Please note that details on housing are provided for students' information only; students are responsible for verifying all information before committing to any housing situation and for ensuring that any selected housing meets their particular needs.

All admitted students will be provided with a TWEN account.  Students will be able to coordinate with each other to share housing finds and locate roommates to share an apartment.


Because July is high season for travel to Europe, students are advised to make travel arrangements as far in advance as possible to secure reasonable rates. Websites that may offer discounted fares include STA Travel; Student Universe; Air Gorilla; Orbitz; Expedia; Travelocity; and Side Step.

All students traveling to Germany are required to hold a valid passport. If you are unsure whether you will need a visa in addition to a passport, please contact the German Consulate/Embassy in your home country well in advance of your intended travel date. Citizens of many countries do not need visas to enter Germany for a period of up to three months. Students are advised to review the U.S. State Department Consular Information sheet on Germany before traveling. 

GW requires that you register your trip abroad in GW Passport for travel policy compliance and registration. The GW Munich Intellectual Property program staff will send accepted students instructions and a link to access registration once they are accepted.

Contact the Office of International Programs at oipadmin@gwu.edu for questions regarding accessing the registration application in GW Passport. For GW Law students who have not claimed a GW NetID, please visit the GW IT Account Center at identity.gwu.edu in order to claim your GW NetID. Please note that your GW NetID is different from your GW Law Portal ID.

Information for Individuals with Disabilities

Advice on traveling to Munich for individuals with disabilities is available at:

The Munich Intellectual Property Law Center and the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property, Competition and Tax Law are generally wheelchair-accessible. Students who will require special classroom accommodations on account of a disability are advised to contact us at munichsummer@law.gwu.edu as soon as possible. 

GW Law Portal Apply