Due to inclement weather, classes, events, and activities are cancelled for Thursday, March 5, 2015.
Please check Campus Advisories at CampusAdvisories.gwu.edu and GW’s Information Line at 202-994-5050 for additional updates.
View All Alerts
B.A. University of Chicago; J.D., Northwestern University
Specialties/Areas of Expertise:
Constitutional criminal procedure; environmental law; litigation; prison reform; torts; elderly and infirm prison inmates; environmental crimes; constitutional law; national security; legal history; legislation
» Click here to view detailed profile
- founder and director of the Project for Older Prisoners (POPS)
- director of the Environmental Law Advocacy Center and its three litigation/legislative components: the Shapiro Environmental Law Clinic, the Environmental Legislative Project, and the Environmental Crimes Project
- served as a voting member and drafting reporter on the U.S. Sentencing Commission's Environmental Crimes Advisory Group and has worked on international environmental issues with the United Nations and other international organizations
- maintains a pro bono practice including a constitutional challenge to congressional legislation in the Elizabeth Morgan case; whistle-blower and discrimination claims against the Justice Department; a constitutional challenge on behalf of four former U.S. attorneys general; and representation of the Rocky Flats Grand Jury
- litigated a variety of national security issues including espionage cases involving CIA officer Jim Nicholson and Navy Petty Officer Dan King; both criminal and civil matters relating to the nuclear couriers from Oak Ridge, TN; both trial-level and appellate representation of the workers at the classified facility known as Area 51; and challenged the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA)
- member of the International Law Institute faculty
- former member of the Tulane University Law faculty
- served as a judicial clerk on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- publishes and litigates widely in the area of criminal and constitutional law, including representation of the head of the so-called Supreme Team drug case in New York