B.A., Harvard University; J.D., LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center
Specialties/Areas of Expertise:
family law; clinical legal education; domestic violence; police misconduct; disability law; health law; reproductive rights; restorative justice
» Click here to view detailed profile
- Professor Kohn is the director of the Family Justice Litigation Clinic, part of the GW Law Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics.
- At D.C. Superior Court, Professor Laurie Kohn is co-chair of the Domestic Violence Unit Task Force, as well as a member of both the Domestic Violence Unit Rules Committee and the Family Court Training Committee.
- Professor Kohn serves serves on the advisory board of the D.C. Volunteer Lawyers’ Project and as a hearing officer in police misconduct cases for the D.C. Office of Police Complaints.
- She is a former chair of the steering committee of the D.C. Bar Family Law Section.
- Before joining the GW Law faculty in 2010, Professor Kohn was co-director of the Domestic Violence Clinic at Georgetown University Law Center. Prior to entering academia, Professor Kohn was an associate at the D.C. law firm of Crowell & Moring where she specialized in medical malpractice and insurance coverage litigation.
- Before entering private practice, Professor Kohn focused on disability rights, assisting in the legislative phase of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy’s office, and later in the regulatory drafting and implementation phase of the ADA in the Civil Rights Division at the Department of Justice.
- Professor Kohn also worked at the Legislative Office of the American Civil Liberties Union, focusing on reproductive rights and disability policy.