Thursday and Friday, March 7 & 8, 2013
Many of the leading academics and class action practitioners in the nation participated in five panels discussing the many controversial issues attending modern class action litigation. The Symposium was jointly sponsored by the James F. Humphreys Complex Litigation Center at George Washington University, Public Justice Foundation, and COSAL. Additional support for the conference was provided by Epiq Systems, Heffler Claims Administration, Huntington Bank, and Rust Consulting, Inc. Papers prepared for the Symposium by panelists will later be published in the George Washington University Law Review.
Moderator and Panelist Bios
Thursday, March 7
Panel One - "The Proper Process to Follow before a Certification Decision is Made"
View Panel One video
Moderator: Richard Marcus, UC Hastings College of Law
- Linda S. Mullenix, The University of Texas Law School
- George G. Gordon, Dechert
- Eric Cramer, Berger & Montague
- Gerson H. Smoger, Smoger & Associates
Panel Two - "Common Questions: The Proper Relationship of 23(a)(2), 23(b)(3), and 23(c)(4)"
View Panel Two video
Moderator: Alan B. Morrison, George Washington University Law School
- Robert G. Bone, University of Texas Law School
- David Sorensen, Berger & Montague
- Theodore J. Boutrous, Gibson Dunn
- Laura J. Hines, University of Kansas School of Law
Friday, March 8
Panel Three - "Class Actions and Remedies"
View Panel Three video
Moderator: Jay H. Tidmarsh, University of Notre Dame Law School
- Edward F. Sherman, Tulane University Law School
- Robert Klonoff, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Arthur H. Bryant, Public Justice
- Joshua Davis, University of San Francisco School of Law
Panel Four - "Settlement Class Actions and Settlement Approval"
View Panel Four video
Moderator: Samuel Issacharoff, NYU School of Law
- Howard M. Erichson, Fordham Law
- Roger H. Trangsrud, George Washington University Law School
- Elizabeth J. Cabraser, Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein
Panel Five - "Arbitration and Class Actions"
View Panel Five video
Moderator: Richard D. Freer, Emory Law
- Myriam E. Gilles, Cardozo Law
- Deborah R. Hensler, Stanford Law School
- F. Paul Bland, Jr., Public Justice
- Jonathan W. Cuneo, Cuneo Gilbert & LaDuca, LLP
- Bruce H. Schneider, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, LLP