Academic Recognition and Grade Representation Policy

Academic Recognition

Students of The George Washington University Law School are not supplied with individual class rankings. However, in lieu of specific rankings, students’ relative academic accomplishments are represented through two scholar designations.

Students in the top 1% to 15% of the class (based on cumulative GPA at the end of each semester) are  designated  “George Washington Scholars,” and students in the top 16% to 35% of the class (based on cumulative GPA at the end of each semester) are designated “Thurgood Marshall Scholars.”


Grade Representation Policy

1. There is no requirement that grades be included on student resumes. Students who wish to represent grades on their resumes, however, must do so in one or more of the following ways. These three formats are the only acceptable means of grade representation on a resume.

a. The distinction of “George Washington Scholar” is bestowed upon those students whose cumulative grade-point average at the end of any semester places them among the top 1% to 15% of their class. The distinction of “Thurgood Marshall Scholar” is bestowed upon those students, excluding those designated George Washington Scholars, whose cumulative grade-point average at the end of the semester places them among the top 16% to 35% of their class;

Any scholar designation must also include an appropriate date designation.  For example:

George Washington Scholar (top 15% of class, as of Spring 2006); or
George Washington Scholar (top 1% to 15% of class, as of Spring 2006); or
George Washington Scholar (Spring 2006); or
George Washington Scholar (as of Spring 2006) or
Thurgood Marshall Scholar (top 35% of class, as of Spring 2006); or
Thurgood Marshall Scholar (top 16% to 35% of class, as of Spring 2006); or
Thurgood Marshall Scholar (as of Spring 2006); or
Thurgood Marshall Scholar (Spring 2006)

Students who attain multiple scholar designations over the course of their academic career may indicate their achievement for each semester or as the current cumulative distinction:

George Washington Scholar (Fall 2005, Spring 2006) or
George Washington Scholar (Fall 2005), Thurgood Marshall Scholar (Spring 2006) or
Thurgood Marshall Scholar (top 16% to 35 % of class, as of Spring 2006)

b. By letter grade, for example: “Maintaining a B+ Average”; or
c. Numerically by G.P.A., for example: “G.P.A.: 3.006" or “G.P.A.: 3.006/4.333.”

No other representation of grades is acceptable.

2. The Dean’s Office will verify the accuracy of grade representation on the resumes of all students participating in interviewing programs. Students found to have misrepresented their grades will be asked to meet with the Dean.

3. LL.M. candidates may not use the Scholar designations to determine relative rankings.

4. If a student chooses to represent his/her actual G.P.A. on the resume, the G.P.A.must be represented to the third decimal point.

5. G.P.A.s must be stated exactly; rounding off is not permitted under any circumstances.

6. Any student who violates these rules in reporting grades may be guilty of academic dishonesty and subject to sanctions under The George Washington University Law School Code of Academic Integrity.

Students who would like to discuss how to represent their academic recognition or grades on your resume should  speak with a counselor in the Career Development Office at 202.994.7340.

For the purposes of stating a letter grade average, the following conversion table should be used:


Letter Grade Average GPA Range

  • A+, 4.167 or greater
  • A, less than 4.167 and greater than or equal to 3.833
  • A-, less than 3.833 and greater than or equal to 3.500
  • B+, less than 3.500 and greater than or equal to 3.167
  • B, less than 3.167 and greater than or equal to 2.833
  • B-, less than 2.833 and greater than or equal to 2.500
  • C+, less than 2.500 and greater than or equal to 2.167
  • C, less than 2.167 and greater than or equal to 1.833
  • C-, less than 1.833 and greater than or equal to 1.500
  • D, less than 1.500

Academic Recognition by Class Year

J.D. Students

The distinctions of George Washington Scholar or Thurgood Marshall Scholar may be used as appropriate.

LL.M. Students

Class rankings are not determined for LL.M. students. Those LL.M. students who would like to display grade information on resumes may indicate grade averages and/or letter grades.

Students who would like to discuss how to represent their academic recognition or grades on your resume should  speak with a counselor in the Career Development Office at 202.994.7340.

 


GW Law Portal Apply