Navigating the complex and evolving intellectual property landscape can be challenging, but nearly every business must do this in some fashion. Though protection strategies may differ from company to company, the keys to success are the same—an in-depth understanding of the threats and opportunities that accompany patent portfolio management; offensive and defensive strategies for litigation; and a grasp of where the patent system is heading.
Join in-house counsel from major corporations and members of the judiciary, academia and private practice as they explore these issues at the ninth annual Symposium on Intellectual Property. The program, presented by The George Washington University Law School, Mayer Brown and Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, will feature interactive panel discussions of hot topics and recent developments in patent law, including:
- From the Bench: Litigating Patent Cases in the Federal Courts
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
- Section 101: Latest Jurisprudence and Can It Be Fixed?
- Intellectual Property Disputes in the Supreme Court and Federal Circuit
We will be joined for a special keynote address by the Honorable David Ruschke, Chief Administrative Patent Judge, United States Patent and Trademark Office.
CLE credit is pending. Please join us for a cocktail reception immediately following the program.
8:30 am - Breakfast and Registration
9 am: Welcome Remarks
9:15 am: Keynote Address
- Hon. David Ruschke, Chief Administrative Patent Judge, United States Patent and Trademark Office
10 am: Panel 1 - Hot Topics at the PTAB
- William Atkins, Partner, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Chad Hanson, PhD, Senior IP Litigation Attorney, Medtronic
- Timothy Jezek, VP, IP and Litigation, EchoStar Corporation
- Scott Markow, Senior Group Patent Counsel, Stanley Black & Decker
- Erick Palmer, Partner, Mayer Brown LLP
11:15 am: Break
11:30 am: Panel 2 - From the Bench: Litigating Patent Cases in the Federal Courts
- Alan Grimaldi, Partner and Co-Leader, Intellectual Property Practice, Mayer Brown LLP
- Hon. Rebecca R. Pallmeyer, United States District Court, Northern District Of Illinois
- Hon. Roy Payne, United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- Hon. Gregory Sleet, United States District Court, District of Delaware
12:45 pm: Networking Luncheon
2 pm: Panel 3 - Intellectual Property Disputes in the Supreme Court and Federal Circuit
- Andrew Pincus, Partner, Mayer Brown LLP
- Ginger Anders, Counsel, Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Mark Freemen, Appellate Staff, Civil Division, United States Department of Justice (invited)
3:15 pm: Break
3:30 pm: Panel 4 - Section 101: Latest Jurisprudence and Can It Be Fixed?
- Jack Barufka, Partner and Co-Leader, Intellectual Property Practice, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Mark Beloborodov, Senior Director, IP Portfolio Management and Counseling, Philips
- Ken Corsello, Attorney, IBM
- Jim Howard, Associate General Counsel, Askeladden, L.L.C. (a/k/a Patent Quality Initiative)
- David Jones, Assistant General Counsel for IP Policy, Microsoft Corporation
- Dmitry Karshtedt, Associate Professor of Law, The George Washington University Law School
4:45 pm: Closing Remarks
5 pm: Cocktail Reception