The Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics were founded in 1971, and were dedicated in 1991 to acknowledge the generous support of Jacob Burns (LLB '24, Hon. LLC '70). A longtime trustee of the University, Burns (1902-1993) was renowned as a lawyer, artist, and philanthropist. GW Law is proud to honor this significant contribution to the "uplifting and maintenance of the legal profession," and his fearless advocacy of the principle of "equal justice under the law."
The Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics vary considerably in purpose, duration, requirements, and duties. Despite their diversity, all the clinics create an exciting and supportive educational environment in which law students are provided the opportunity to develop lawyering skills and to gain insights into law and the legal profession while providing vital legal services to people who need them. The Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics operate under the direction of Associate Dean Laurie S. Kohn. The Managing Attorney & Associate Program Director for the Clinics is Andrea R. Willis-Johnson, and the Administrative Supervisor is Milagros Tudela.