The Sustainable Energy Initiative is a thought-leadership platform for the consideration and development of energy policy. Although still in its infancy, the Initiative’s mission is to advance the development of legal structures that govern our increasingly diverse and complex energy systems with the goal of promoting equitable economic growth, protecting public health and the environment and assuring access to affordable, reliable, clean and sustainable energy resources by:
providing a forum for open debate on leading-edge energy policy issues
conducting research that significantly advances the knowledge base related to sustainable energy law and policy
educating students, policy makers and industry participants on issues related to sustainable energy production, delivery and use based on fact and non-partisan analysis.
We recognize that there are many other organizations interested in the development of energy law and policy, but the law school’s location in the nation’s capital, steps away from the seat of the US government and the largest international financial institutions, its strong network of alumni in the energy industry, its long history of teaching energy law, and its distinguished faculty and staff allow it access to unique and important resources. With these resources, the Initiative has the opportunity and the ability to make a difference.
- Areas of Study
- Field Placement
- Public Interest & Pro Bono
- Study Abroad & Exchange Programs
- Research Centers & Initiatives
- The Center for Law, Economics & Finance
- Corporate Law and Governance Initiative
- Criminal Law Initiative
- Cybersecurity Law Initiative
- Global Internet Freedom Project
- Sustainable Energy Initiative
- Technology | Academics | Policy
- James F. Humphreys Complex Litigation Center
- Dean Dinwoodey Center for Intellectual Property Studies
- Institute for Constitutional History
- Visiting Scholars Program
- Academic Calendar
- The Bulletin
The Sustainable Energy Initiative hosts several events throughout the semester. Check back frequently for new events.