The Friends of the Jacob Burns Law Library is a group of individuals, law firms, and other organizations dedicated to supporting the continued growth and enhancement of the collections through a variety of methods. In today's institutional purchasing climate, the spiraling cost of books has forced many libraries to decrease dramatically the scope of their spending, with destructive long-term, and often irremediable, effects on their collections. The efforts of alumni, faculty, law colleagues, and other Friends enable the Law Library to maintain and enhance the quality and scope of its important collections, and provide assurance of continued excellence for future generations of students and researchers.
The Jacob Burns Law Library is named for Jacob Burns (LL.B. '24, LL.D. '70), a generous supporter of GW Law and longtime trustee of the University. Burns (1902-1993) was renowned as a lawyer, artist, and philanthropist. His gift of the Jacob Burns Law Library is just one of several examples of his significant contributions to the "uplifting and maintenance of the legal profession" and his fearless advocacy of the principle of "equal justice under the law."