Apply for Financial Aid as a JD Student

 Commercial Loans Federal Loans (Stafford, GradPLUS) Need-Based Grants



GW Law Financial Aid Request Form

Copy of the Loan Application

Private Student Loan Checklist

GW Law Financial Aid Request Form

FAFSA (Student and Spouse)

Federal Loan Entrance Counseling

Master Promissory Note(s), Stafford and GradPLUS

GradPLUS Request

GW Law Financial Aid Request Form

FAFSA (Student and Spouse)

CSS Profile (Student, Spouse, Parents)

Action NeededNotify Financial Aid OfficeReview Aid Package on BanWeb and Accept Awards

Student must apply and accept other loan to qualify.

Review  Aid Package on BanWeb and Accept Awards


Applying for commercial and/or Federal loans onlyJuly 15

First-Year JD Students applying for GW Law need-based grants (and necessarily, federal loans): As soon as possible. Do not wait to be admitted to file FAFSA and CSS Profile.

Second, Third, or Fourth-Year JD Students applying for GW Law need-based grants and federal loans: June 30

Special Groups

GW Law Students Attending Another School:

If you have been granted permission by the Dean of Students to attend another law school during a period of the academic year, Law Financial Aid will process your financial aid application.  You will be able to apply for loans only; any GW aid you may have been granted would be revoked (need-based grant) or suspended (merit scholarship).

In addition to the usual forms for financial aid, you will need to provide the Law Financial Aid Office with:

  • a copy of your approval form from the Dean of Students to take courses off-campus
  • contact information for the host school’s financial aid office 

We will send a Consortium Agreement to the host school, which we and they must sign. This gives GW Law the power to process your aid based on the Host School's cost of education.  The Host agrees to monitor your enrollment, provide GW with the cost of your program, and not to award you any financial aid of their own. 

When loan funds arrive at the beginning of the enrollment period, they will be electronically deposited into your GW student account. You are responsible for monitoring your account to ensure that funds are issued to you as a refund, and to pay the Host school its tuition.

Visiting Students Coming to GW Law

Please alert GW Law Financial Aid of your intent to enroll. We will be signing off on your home school's Consortium Agreement, providing them with the cost of attendance for your particular program. We will be able to complete a Consortium Agreement for you after you have been admitted and have registered for courses at the law school. 

As an international student applying to the law school, you must be prepared to fund all of your educational and living expenses. You are not eligible for GW Law need-based grants.

U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required to qualify for federal loans. If you do qualify as a U.S. or permanent resident, please review our Federal Stafford and GradPLUS loan pages and the Apply for Aid page.  Otherwise, you may borrow commercial, not federal, education loans only if you obtain a credit-worthy U.S. cosigner.

Graduate and International Programs considers all applicants for merit scholarships automatically with each application. Graduate Programs does not provide any other type of grant or teaching assistantships. Non-US LLM, MSL and SJD students who request an F-1 visa from this University will need to provide documentation of sufficient funding to cover any remaining amount of the cost of attendance and living expenses for the entire length of their program. Total costs of attendance are as follows:




One  year (two academic semesters)


Three years minimum

Tuition $53,400 $63,205 total tuition

Living Expenses (Based on minimum cost per academic year)

$20,850 $20,850 per academic year in residence
Health Insurance (12 months, required) $20,850 $2,690  per academic year in residence
Books and Supplies (9-month academic period) $500 $500
International Student Fee ($45 per semester) $90 $90 per academic year in residence
Total $77,440 $87,355 minimum

Online Resources

Many organizations provide websites with information on studying in the U.S., financing, and more, including:

Foreign Born General information site for students entering and living in the U.S.

Aetna Student Health All international students on a J-1 and F-1 visa will be automatically enrolled in the university's health plan which provides comprehensive coverage.

Rotary International Rotary International is a global organization geared toward community services that sponsors opportunities for foreign students Resource for study abroad information

Study In U.S. General website that aids foreign students in calculation of costs and funding options available in the U.S.


Costs associated with taking a half-time or more course load (3 or more credits for a JD or LLM student) in summer may be met with commercial loans or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans.


The cost of attendance for GW summer courses is charged on a per credit hour basis; living expenses for the two-month academic session are added; these are a percentage of the COA for the previous fall/spring academic year. 

Field Placement

If you enroll in outside placement credits and your field placement work extends beyond the last day of exams for the GW Law summer session, you may request to increase your COA for summer by a per diem, which may extend through the end of the first week of August.

Summer Abroad

If you enroll in one of the law school’s summer abroad programs (Augsburg, Munich, Oxford), the maximum you can borrow is based on each program’s own established COA. 

Loan Applications

Summer sessions are considered the "trailer" for a given academic year, i.e., fall/spring/summer. Therefore, you apply for aid for summer using the same FAFSA you filed for the fall/spring period of the calendar year.  

  • You need to complete and return to us the Law "Summer Addendum" also available on the Financial Aid page of the Law portal by April 1. Please work with us to apply for summer funds. 
  • On, Request a Direct PLUS Loan (apply for credit) for GradPLUS no more than 180 days prior to the first day of your summer session classes. 
  • Consortium agreement required if you attend another school: see page on Visiting Students, and our Forms page.


Funds for summer study at the law school are timed to arrive at the school on the first day of the summer session. If you are borrowing  a loan for a study-abroad program, the earliest the loan funds can be disbursed is ten days prior to the start date of the program. 

Loans are disbursed by the Department of Education electronically into GWU’s database, then pay into your student account, provided you are registered for the proper number of credits for summer. Tuition and any other outstanding charges are paid first.  


If the loan payment is so large it causes your account to have a credit balance, you will need to apply for a refund of the credit balance (GW does not automatically process summer refunds , as it does during the academic year). 

If you are using your loan funds to attend another law school/law school program abroad, your loan funds will still be deposited to your GW student account. You are responsible for requesting your refund and paying the tuition, fees, and any other required charges to your host school.

Refund Instructions

If you are expecting a refund and do not receive it, always contact Law Financial Aid for assistance.  Full-time JD students pay tuition on a per credit-hour rate for summer.

NOTE: Should you reduce your course load for the summer after the session has begun, your aid must be reduced or revoked, depending upon your enrollment change.

If you are pursuing your JD degree and another graduate degree within the University, the law school Financial Aid Office almost invariably is responsible for awarding your financial aid.  Typically you take your first full year of law courses first, then begin to blend other division courses into your subsequent semester registrations, aided by the Dean of Students.

If you are a U.S. citizen/permanent resident, not a transfer student, not receiving a law school merit scholarship of $16,000 or more, and not receiving GW employee tuition benefits, you may apply for Law need-based grants and federal loans. You may only receive your Law merit scholarship or need-based grant in semesters in which you are paying Law School tuition.

For any semester in which you are registered for courses exclusively in another division, you will be charged the per credit hour tuition rate and all other corresponding special fees* for that division, plus the law school's standard cost of attendance living expenses. GW graduate school (non-law, non-med) tuition rates tend to be lower than the law school's.  However, for any semester in which you blend law and other division courses—even if only one law credit is in the mix—the law school's tuition is applied. If you take 12 or more credits, you will be charged the law school flat full-time tuition rate; if you take less than 12 credits, you will be charged the law school’s per credit hour tuition rate.

*Some graduate degrees have special fees charged you prior to graduation. These should be specified when you receive your admission to the other school. For example, currently, the Elliott School of International Affairs charges a $3,600 "grad" fee, in $900 per semester installments. Because the GW system can only post one GW division's charges in any given semester, you may not always see those charges assessed on your student account. Even if you do not see the charges on your bill, they must be paid prior to graduation. If you know you should be billed for a special graduate division fee and don't see it on your account statement, alert Law Financial Aid immediately. If left unpaid, the graduate school will demand payment of the special fee in full prior to your graduation.

Any extra charges you incur at the other graduate school, which are not built into the Law COA, may be added to your law school costs so that you may borrow more to cover them.

GW Law Yellow Ribbon Program

GW Law and the University have entered into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to fund tuition expenses that exceed the maximum base pay amount of 9/11 benefits.

Important Information for Veterans

GW Law, like the University, is committed to providing veterans with the highest level of support. The law school provides a valuable experience to all its active duty and veteran service members. Specific programs that highlight the interests of our students with military backgrounds are the National Security LLM program, the Government Procurement Law Program, the Veterans Law Pro Bono Program, and our annual hosting of the National Veterans Law Moot Court Competition.

Learn more about University resources and points of contact for specific needs at: GW Student Veteran Services.

Financial aid is normally awarded after a student has been accepted for admission to GW Law. Learn about veteran financial aid options before the admission process. Veterans who want to learn about their financial aid options before the admissions process.

Major Educational Programs Available through the VA or the Department of Defense

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill is effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (also known as The Post 9/11 GI Bill). This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum paid through the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.  The institution can waive up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.