Bringing together judges, scholars, law practitioners, and high-level veteran government officials, the event will explore terrorism’s impact on victims, methods of legal recourse, the role of social media in radicalization, and other vital issues in the context of the growing international scope of terrorism.
The conference is presented by GW Law, the Mid-Atlantic Region of American Friends of the Hebrew University, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s Faculty of Law and Minerva Center for Human Rights.
8:30 – 915 am: Welcome & Opening Plenary
- Michael Hausfeld, Chair
- Blake Morant, Dean, The George Washington University Law School
Opening Plenary: The Fight Against Terrorism — Legal and Policy Constraints
- Alberto Mora, Harvard University, former General Counsel of the U.S. Navy
9:15 – 11 am: Session One: Extreme Measures or a Measured Response
- Dr. Peter Berkowitz, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Prof. Dino Kritsiotis, University of Nottingham, U.K.
- The Hon. Dan Meridor, former Minister of Justice, Israel
- Prof. Mary Ellen O’Connell, Notre Dame University Law School
- Prof. Sean Murphy, The George Washington University Law School
11 am – Noon: Session Two: Compensation and Victims’ Rights
- Ken Feinberg, Feinberg Law Offices
- James Kreindler, Kreindler & Kreindler
- Steven Perles, Perles Law Firm
12:45 – 1:30 pm: Luncheon Plenary: Challenges Posed by New Technologies
- The Hon. Michael Chertoff, The Chertoff Group, former Secretary of Homeland Security
1:30 – 3:15 pm: Session Three: Coping with Collateral Damage
- Admiral Ami Ayalon former Director of the Israel Security Agency (the Shin Bet)
- Col. (ret.) David Graham, former Director of the Center for Law and Military Operations, U.S. Army
- Dr. Jean-Baptiste Jeangène Vilmer, Director of Strategic Research Institute, Ecole Militaire, France
- Prof. Laura Dickinson, The George Washington University Law School
3:15 – 4:45 pm: Session Four: Terrorism on Trial
- Justice (ret.) Dorit Beinisch, Former Chief Justice of the Israel Supreme Court
- Prof. Gabriella Blum, Harvard Law School
- Prof. Ashley Deeks, University of Virginia School of Law
- Prof. Peter Raven-Hansen, The George Washington University Law School
- Prof. Yuval Shany, Dean, Hebrew University Faculty of Law
4:45 – 5:30 pm: Closing Plenary
- The Hon. Michael Mukasey, Debevoise & Plimpton, former Attorney General
GW Law, long recognized as one of the top law schools in the country, pursues a distinctive research and learning mission that engages the leading law and policy questions of our time and provides students with an education that will position them to help change the world. Accredited by the American Bar Association and a charter member of the Association of American Law Schools, the law school was founded in 1865 and was the first law school in the District of Columbia.